Call Today 803.359.3301
South Carolina's Auto Liability Coverage Laws

South Carolina's Auto Liability Coverage Laws

In the United States, we have millions of auto accidents every year, some of which involve drunk drivers. In fact, your chances of being in an alcohol-related crash are 1 in 3, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). So, we have to worry about distracted drivers, drunk drivers, and reckless drivers!

Since the risk of being in a crash is so high, automobile insurance is a legal requirement for all drivers in South Carolina and in all 50 states.

According to the South Carolina Department of Insurance, “South Carolina law requires that you purchase liability and uninsured motorist coverage to drive legally in the state.” In South Carolina, automobile insurance coverage falls under two categories: liability and physical damage.

Auto Liability Insurance

Auto liability insurance is broken down into three parts: 1) bodily injury, 2) property damage, and 3) uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

Under South Carolina law, drivers are required to carry a minimum of $25,000 per a person for bodily injury and $50,000 for all people who are injured in the same accident. Bodily injury claims may cover: medical bills, pain and suffering, and lost income.

Property damage is to cover the cost of damage to other people’s vehicles as well as damage caused to other’s property, such as walls, fences, and other items. Under South Carolina’s insurance law, drivers must carry a minimum of $25,000 coverage for property damage in one accident.

What if I am hit by an uninsured or an underinsured driver? In that case, your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage would kick in. In some states this coverage is optional; however, in South Carolina it’s required.

Drivers are required to carry coverage that’s equal to the state’s minimum liability limits of 25/50/25. Drivers can also elect to purchase comprehensive and collision coverage.

While drivers are not required to purchase comp and collision by law, some lenders require that drivers carry this type of coverage, especially when the vehicle is leased.

If you were injured in an accident in Columbia, South Carolina, contact our office to schedule a free case evaluation with an injury attorney!


Get Started Today

We're Available to Schedule Immediate, Same-Day Consultations
    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.