Call Today 803.359.3301
What do I do if I’m in an Auto Accident?

What do I do if I’m in an Auto Accident?

If you had 10 people in a room and you took a survey of how many people had ever been in a car accident in their lifetimes, there is a very good chance that most, if not all, of the people in the room, would raise their hands. That’s because car accidents are extremely common events.

Despite car accidents being so common, a lot of drivers don’t actually know what to say and do when they’re in a crash. Often, their bodies are flooded with adrenaline, they’re shocked by the sudden, violent event, and they aren’t sure what to say or do. Some people are so confused by what they’re supposed to do that they do the WRONG thing.

For example, they’ll flee the scene of the accident, they’ll admit the whole crash was their fault (it may have not been at all), they’ll avoid calling the police, or they won’t get a police report – all of these things can have a significant, negative impact on the person and the claims process. That being said, here’s some sound advice on what to do if you’re ever involved in a car accident down the road.

After the Auto Accident: Tips

We suggest you read the following advice and try to memorize it so if you’re ever involved in an auto accident, you’ll know what to do. This way, if you do need to file a car accident claim, you’ll have done everything you could to facilitate the claims process.

  • Be prepared by keeping your auto insurance ID card in your vehicle at all times.
  • Call 911 if anyone was injured.
  • If you can drive your car, move it out of traffic, but first take pictures on your cell phone of the accident scene.
  • Write down the other vehicle’s year, make, model, and license plate number.
  • Write down any witnesses’ names and contact information.
  • For the officer who arrives on the scene, get their name, badge number, and contact information.
  • Note the time, date, and location of the accident. Make notes about skid marks, road conditions, and weather.
  • Contact the DMV and request a copy of the accident report.
  • Contact a personal injury attorney and file a claim for compensation.

To file a car accident claim, contact the Law Office of James R. Snell, Jr., LLC today!


Get Started Today

We're Available to Schedule Immediate, Same-Day Consultations
    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.