Call Today 803.359.3301
How to Get a Temporary License After a SC DUI

How to Get a Temporary License After a SC DUI

After getting arrested for a DUI/DUAC in South Carolina, one of the immediate repercussions is having your driver’s license suspended. Without your driving privileges, driving to and from work, school, important appointments, and even running household errands can be challenging because you must rely on public transportation and your loved ones for rides. 

Fortunately, you can obtain a temporary license in order to get you back on the road and get your life back on track. This type of license returns some of your driving privileges on a temporary basis. 

The following are three types of temporary licenses available to South Carolina DUI offenders: 

  • Temporary Alcohol Restricted License (TARL) – The driver’s license suspension following an arrest is administered by the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). However, you can challenge the suspension by requesting an administrative hearing within 10 days of your arrest. Once you obtain the Notice of Hearing, you can use that to get a TARL at your local DMV office. Keep in mind, not only must you pay a $200 fee for the hearing, but you also need to pay $100 to get a TARL, which you can use for up to six months. 

  • Provisional License – If you were ultimately convicted for a first DUI offense, you can apply for a provision driver’s license, which allows you to legally drive only to and from work, school, the grocery store, medical appointments, and Alcohol Drug Safety Action Program (ADSAP) classes. In order to be approved for a provisional license, you must have a valid South Carolina driver’s license, there are no other license suspensions on your record, you have enrolled in ADSAP, you have an SR-22 insurance certificate, and you have an ignition interlock device (IID) installed in your vehicle (for offenders with a BAC of at least .15 percent). This license also costs $100 and remains valid until the license suspension is over. 

  • Route Restricted License – If you were convicted of a second or subsequent DUI offense, you are not eligible for a provisional license. However, you can still obtain a “route restricted license” that enables you to drive to and from work, school, court-ordered rehabilitation, and/or ADSAP courses. Remember, you can only obtain this license once in your lifetime. This license also costs $100 and remains valid until the license suspension is over. 

If you were recently arrested for a DUI in Lexington, contact the Law Office of James R. Snell, Jr., LLC today at (803) 359-3301 for a free initial consultation. 


Get Started Today

We're Available to Schedule Immediate, Same-Day Consultations
    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.