Call Today 803.359.3301
Auto Insurance in Columbia, SC

Auto Insurance in Columbia, SC

As you know, licensed drivers in South Carolina cannot legally drive unless the vehicle they are driving has automobile insurance coverage. According to the South Carolina Department of Insurance, “All forms of insurance provide protection to consumers by covering certain risks and promising to pay for financial losses caused by these risks.”

Across the country, auto insurance is one of the most-used types of insurance on the market, hands down. This is because in all states, it’s illegal to drive on a public road unless a vehicle is insured according to state law. In South Carolina, drivers are required to purchase uninsured motorist coverage and liability insurance.

In South Carolina, auto insurance is categorized into liability and physical damage:

Liability Coverage: An auto liability insurance policy is broken down into three parts: 1) liability for bodily injury, 2) liability for property damage, and 3) uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

What does bodily injury liability do? If you cause an accident, it protects you from being sued by parties who were injured in the accident. Under South Carolina law, drivers are required to carry a minimum of $25,000 of bodily injury per a person and $50,000 for all parties injured in the accident.

If you cause property damage, property damage liability insurance would kick in and protect you. This coverage is not limited to vehicles you may have damaged, it includes other property, such as walls, fences, and buildings. In South Carolina, drivers are required by law to carry a minimum $25,000 of insurance for property damage in a single accident.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage: Uninsured motorist coverage protects you in the event you are struck by a hit-and-run driver, or if you’re struck by an underinsured or an uninsured motorist. While this type of coverage is not mandatory, insurance companies are legally required to offer it. We highly recommend purchasing as much UIM coverage as you can afford.

Physical Damage: Another type of “optional” insurance is physical damage coverage. Think collision and comprehensive coverage. Collision for example, covers the cost of physical damage to your car if it collides with an object, such as another car, a wall, or a tree. Comprehensive covers damage to your vehicle due to other causes, such as a fire, theft, hitting an animal, a falling object, or flooding etc.

“While not required by law, comprehensive and collision may be required by your lender,” according to the Department of Insurance.

Looking for a Columbia personal injury attorney to file a car accident claim? Contact us today to set up a free case evaluation with a member of our legal team.


Get Started Today

We're Available to Schedule Immediate, Same-Day Consultations
    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.